For those with a finger on the pulse of marketing and tech news, it comes as no surprise that Snapchat, notorious for being stingy with user data, has been ramping up its offerings and accessibility this past year as they work towards profitability. The highlights have been Discover, Lenses, LiveStory, Chat, and sponsored Geo-Filters. Most recently (February 23rd), Snapchat announced on-demand geo-filters, temporary filters that can be bought by brands for as little as $5.
However, while these new developments are definitely creative and exciting, some marketers may struggle to identify real opportunities to connect with their brand’s audience. That’s why we compiled an inspiration list for marketers to learn from some Snapchat success stories. Brands that have found their footing include Burberry, Victoria’s Secret, Audi, Sour Patch Kids, MLS, Food Network, and Birchbox.
Snapchat has an estimated 200 million monthly active users and 100 million daily active users, and is the fastest growing platform, making it extremely attractive to get a foothold in. Though youthful, the age demographic is by no means solely 13-year-olds. From a marketing perspective, Snapchat is also attractive because stories have a 24-hour time limit to be viewed, creating a sense of urgency. This contributes to the extremely high consumption and open rates. Let’s take a look at the brands setting the standard for using the social media app!
Strength: Exclusive Content
- Burberry partnered with Snapchat to produce the first ever Snapchat Show — meaning that users will be able to preview the spring 2016 collection the evening before its London runway debut.
- Burberry also participates in Live Story, meaning there is coverage of the event through aggregating crowd-sourced videos and images.
Strength: Influencers & Brand Personalities
- VS used sponsored geo-filters to promote their fashion show this past December.
- Additionally, VS heavily uses influencer marketing via VS Angels’ personal snap handles, reinforcing the models as the face and brand personality.
- Content includes behind-the-scenes footage of shows and shoots, as well as fitness tips and promotional ads for sales.
Strength: Humor & Knowing The Audience
- During Superbowl XLVIII in 2014, Audi turned to a strategic partnership with Snapchat and The Onion to raise awareness with the Millennial demographic . With the help of its agency-of-record, Huge, and Onion Labs, the in-house creative services division of The Onion, humorous photos and captions were created in line with typical behavior people – or their pets – may exhibit during the game.
- Audi’s Snapchat following grew by more than 5,500 over the course of the game, reportedly one of the larger spikes Snapchat has ever seen and the fastest growing account.
- Other platforms were affected as well — Audi’s Facebook fans increased by 9000.
- The campaign helped Audi drive the most online conversation of any automaker on Super Bowl Sunday and comprised more than 30% of the online buzz about the brand.
Sour Patch Kids
Strength: Brand Alignment & Storyline
- Sour Patch Kids worked with Vine star Logan Paul in the campaign “Real-life Sour Patch Kid.” Paul took over the brand’s Snapchat account while documenting pranks he pulled with Sour Patch Kids co-stars.
- The theme changed throughout the week from “sweet” pranks to “sour” Snaps, aligning with the brand’s “first they’re sour, then they’re sweet” tagline.
- The campaign resulted in:
- 120,000 new Snapchat followers for Sour Patch Kids
- 583,000 impressions on day 1 growing to 6.8 million impressions on the final story of the week
- 26,000+ screenshots
- About 1,900 mentions of the Snapchat campaign on Twitter
Strength: Creativity & Personal Fan Engagement
- MLS teams, such as the New England Revolution, offer behind-the-scenes footage of their players before all-star games and friendlies, fostering engagement both during and outside of the season. This gives fans access to the personal lives of the players and enables MLS to stay top-of-mind for longer than just the length of a game.
- Club supporters have the opportunity to see training, team life beyond the games, and exclusive short interviews.
- The teams also stage takeovers and like to get creative with what they document. One unique use-case was when LA Galaxy player, AJ DeLaGarza, sent personalized autograph ‘snaps’ to the many fans that put in requests
Strength: Consistent High-Quality Content
- Cosmopolitan is a Discover partner– the best stories are selected from Cosmopolitan.com and delivered to the app by 8 a.m. everyday.
- Cosmo gets 3 million readers a day on Snapchat Discover and their Discover stories are shared up to 1.2 million times daily.
- Beyond Discover, Cosmo hosted a Live Story for its 50th anniversary. The Kardashians starred in its Snapchat videos promoting the event.
Strength: Varying Content Type & Introducing Novel Ideas
- The Food Network is Snapchat’s exclusive launch partner within the food category. Daily content includes mini-videos, recipes, and food tips.
- Some weeknight dinner ideas offered on the channel include Meatless Mondays and Dinner in 10, as well as seasonal fare.
- Food Network features various chefs on a regular basis.
Strength: Hands-on Approach
- Birchbox’s Snapchat stories offer tutorials, “unboxings”, and live how-to’s that showcase the products. Their Snap Stories can record the transformation from fresh-faced to completely made-up or lead followers through at-home skin care routines.
- Birchbox’s Snapchat followers will respond to snaps with text or their own photos, commenting or asking for advice. Birchbox strives for a 100% response rate and the private chat feature allows the brand to personally and privately interact with fans.
A key takeaway from all these brands is the value of authenticity and importance of an element of rawness. The most successful brands on Snapchat lean away from corporate voice and forgo the spit-and-polish requisite on other platforms. Successful brands also heavily cross-promote and engage with their audience after the fact through one-on-one snaps or chatting.
Stay tuned for a quiz to figure out which brand should inspire you to use Snapchat!